Hawke and McKinlay

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hawke and McKinlay

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1905-

History

The partnership between William HAWKE and Walter Nicol McKINLAY dated from 1905 and their arrival in Cape Town as winners of the competition for the Cape of Good Hope University offices and examination hall in Queen Victoria Street. The partners subsequently won a number of competitions of national importance including the Law Courts in Bloemfontein (1906), now the Supreme Court; the National Museum, Bloemfontein (1907, officially opened in 1915); Pretoria Post Office (1909), Johannesburg city hall (1910) for which they also designed the grand organ and were responsible for later (1937-1940) two-storey addition to the city hall.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

ZAUCT

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC