- 1730-1969 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Born in Geelong, Victoria, C.F. Belcher was a son of G.F. Belcher, a former member of the Victorian Legislative Council. He was called to the bar first in Melbourne, and then, in 1909, at Gray's Inn, London. He entered Trinity College (University of Melbourne) in 1894, where he studied Law.
For much of his life he served the British Colonial Service in Africa and elsewhere. He was variously a magistrate in Uganda, Assistant Judge in Zanzibar, Puisne Judge in Kenya, Member of the Appeals Court of East Africa, Attorney General and later High Court Judge of Nyasaland, Chief Justice of Cyprus (1927–1930) and President of the Appeal Court of the West Indies. In 1930, he was appointed Chief Justice of Trinidad and Tobago, an office he held for the next seven years.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Scope and content
1. - "Journal to and from China in the H. C.S. True Briton 1804 and 5. Sailed from England the 9th June 1804 and arrived the 8th Sept. 1805 off the Isle of Wight."
2. - "Journal kept [by George Frederick Belcher] on board the ship "Sir Robert Sale" ... homeward. bound (via the Cape) from Geelong, Victoria, 1852."
3. - "Genealogical notes relating to William Belcher of Kells (1730-1796) and his descendants; compiled by his, great-grandson, Charles Frederic Belcher, 1944."
4. - Photographs and portraits of Joseph W. Belcher, George Frederick Belcher and Charles F. Belcher
5. - Photocopies of above-mentioned portraits of Joseph and George Belcher and of illustrations in journal kept by George Belcher.
6. - Correspondence between Mr. Immelman and Sir Charles Belcher, dated 16.2.1968 to 4.12.1968.
Photocopy of page from "Who's who, 1969."
7. - Copy of Mr. Immelman's article entitled "A visit to Cape Town in 1853: the journal of George Frederick Belcher," in "Quarterly Bulletin of the South African library," v.23, no. 4, June 1969, pp. 122- 144. Typescript and notes.
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion